Organization, Information and Learning Sciences
- Zimmerman Library
Dr. Frances C. Wilkinson (she, her, hers) retired on January 1, 2021 and became a professor emerita. She was the interim dean of the College of University Libraries and Learning Sciences (ULLS) from July 1 to December 31, 2020 and had served twice previously as interim dean. Prior to becoming interim dean, she was the ULLS senior associate dean and also the administrative director of the Organization, Information & Learning Sciences program and has over thirty years of professional academic library experience.
She received her Bachelor of Arts with distinction, her Master of Public Administration, and her Doctor of Education in Educational Leadership from The University of New Mexico. She received her Master of Library Science from the University of Arizona.
Dr. Wilkinson is the author of eight books and over fifty articles, chapters, columns, and reports. She is very active on UNM faculty senate committees, currently serving as co-chair of the Faculty & Staff Benefits Committee. In addition, she serves as a mediator for the UNM Ombuds/Dispute Resolution Services.
She also teaches leadership and qualitative research graduate courses and serves as a faculty advisor to seven doctoral students in the Organization, Information & Learning Sciences program.
Selected Publications and Awards:
- Practical Strategies for Academic Library Administration, Santa Barbara, CA: Libraries Unlimited, an imprint of ABC-CLIO, LLC, 2016. Editors/Authors: Frances C. Wilkinson and Rebecca L. Lubas.
- Complete Guide to Acquisitions Management, 2nd Edition, Santa Barbara, CA: Libraries Unlimited, an imprint of ABC-CLIO, LLC, 2015. Authors: Frances C. Wilkinson, Linda L. Lewis, and Rebecca L. Lubas.
- Comprehensive Guide to Emergency Preparedness and Disaster Recovery. Chicago, IL: American Library Association (ACRL), 2010. Authors: Frances C. Wilkinson, Linda K. Lewis and Nancy K. Dennis.
- Writing RFPs for Acquisitions: A Guide to the Request for Proposal (ALCTS Acquisitions Guides).Chicago, IL: American Library Association (ALCTS), 2008. Authors:Frances C. Wilkinson and Linda K. Lewis.
- Complete Guide to Acquisitions Management, Westport CT, London: Libraries Unlimited, 2003. Authors: Frances C. Wilkinson and Linda K. Lewis.
- Effective Management of Student Employment: Organizing for Student Employment in Academic Libraries, Englewood, CO: Libraries Unlimited, 2000. Authors: David A. Baldwin, Frances C. Wilkinson, and Daniel C. Barkley.
- The RFP Process: Effective Management of the Acquisition of Library Materials, Englewood, CO:Libraries Unlimited, 1998. Authors/Editors: Frances C. Wilkinson and Connie Capers Thorson.
Refereed Articles and Chapters:
- Emotional Intelligence in Library Disaster Assistance Teams: Which Competencies Emerged?, C&RL, vol.76, no.2 (March, 2015), pp. 188-204. Author: Frances C. Wilkinson.
- The Academic Library Impact on Student Persistence, C&RL, vol.72, no.2 (March, 2011), pp.128-149. Authors: Mark Emmons and Frances C. Wilkinson.
- Developing a Safety Training Program. Library & Archival Security, vol. 21, no. 2 (September, 2008), pp.77-85. Authors: Frances C. Wilkinson and Linda K. Lewis.
- Attitudes of Presidents and Provosts on the University Library. C&RL, vol.68, no.3 (May 2007), pp.213-227. Authors: Beverly P. Lynch, Catherine Murray-Rust, Susan E. Parker, Deborah Turner, Diane Parr Walker, Frances C. Wilkinson, and Julia Zimmerman.
- Jumping Through the Hoops: Serials Librarians’ Reflections on Tenure, Reappointment, and Promotion Experiences in Academia. In “Balance Point” Column, edited by Kay Johnson. Serials Review, vol. 31, no.1 (2005), pp 39-53. Authors: Frances C. Wilkinson and Linda K. Lewis.
- Performance Reviews: Terror, Tedium or Inspiration? Chapter 33, pp.271-280. In The Librarian’s Career Guidebook, Latham, MD: Scarecrow Press, Inc., 2004. Edited by Prescilla K. Schontz. Authors: Frances C. Wilkinson and Linda K. Lewis.
- Designing the Electronic Classroom: Applying Learning Theory and Ergonomic Design Principles. Library Hi Tech, vol.19, no.1 (2001), pp. 77-87. Authors: Mark Emmons and Frances C. Wilkinson.
- Using Serials Vendors in Academic Libraries, Revisited: An ARL Survey. In Advances in Serials Management: A Research Annual, vol.7 (2000), pp. 1-29. Authors: Frances C. Wilkinson and Sever Bordeianu.
- History of Automated Serials Control Systems in ARL Libraries: Results of a Survey. Serials Review, vol.25, no.4 (1999), pp. 55-62. Authors: Frances C. Wilkinson and Sever Bordeianu.
- Merging the Acquisitions and Serials Department at the University of New Mexico: A Case Study. Library Acquisitions: Practice & Theory, vol.22, no.3 (1998), pp. 259-270. Authors: Sever Bordeianu, Linda K. Lewis, and Frances C. Wilkinson.
- In Search of the Perfect Cover: Using the RFP Process to Select a Commercial Binder. Serials Review, vol.23, no.3 (Fall 1997), pp. 37-47. Authors: Sever Bordeianu and Frances C. Wilkinson.
- Putting the House in Order: Using INNOPAC to Manage Problematic Reference Serials and Pseudoserials. Reference Services Review, vol. 24, no.1 (Spring 1996), pp. 13-20. Authors: Christina Carter, Nina K. Stephenson, and Frances C. Wilkinson.
- Computer Calisthenics: Staying Healthy on the Job While Sitting at a Library VDT Workstation. Technical Services Quarterly, vol.13, no.1 (Winter 1995), pp. 31-38. Authors: Ruth Krug, Frances C. Wilkinson, and Marie Krug.
- The RFP Process: Rational, Educational, Necessary. Library Acquisitions: Practice and Theory, vol.19, no.2 (July 1995), pp. 251-268. Authors: Frances C. Wilkinson and Connie Capers Thorson. ACCTS Blackwell North America Scholarship Award Nominee, 1995.
- Computer Workstation Design and Assessment. Technical Services Quarterly, vol. 10, no.4 (1993), pp. 43-52. Authors: Frances C. Wilkinson and Ruth Krug.
- Pick a Chair - But Not Any Chair: A Comparison of Two Ergonomically Correct VDT Chairs. Technical Services Quarterly, vol.8, no.2 (Winter 1990), pp. 25-41. Authors: Frances C. Wilkinson and Ruth Krug.
- Albuquerque Historical Society, Excellence in Historical Programming for “Zimmerman Library: After the Fire,” 2007.
- Friends of the Libraries, UNM, Inc. “James F. Zimmerman Award” for Excellence in Administrative Service to the Library, 2003.
- American Library Association, Association for Library Collections and Technical Services “Leadership in Library Acquisitions Award,” 2000.